Calibrating your printer with FREEHAND

Discuss the tools of our business. From Photoshop to Media Tools!

Moderators: kikikikikiki, diptanshu, Dalbir

Paramvir
Site Admin

Calibrating your printer with FREEHAND

Post by Paramvir »

Color Management Systems

The color management preferences in FreeHand give you three core systems to work with, and each gives a different level of color management to meet your needs. Let’s look at each of these systems of color management and point out advantages of each.

Adjust Display Colors (works best for me)
The Adjust Display Colors system of color management is simple to configure and allows each person to adjust the monitor to the color perspective that they perceive. This is also the recommended method of color management by a large number of designers and artists in the FreeHand community.

Adjust Display Colors allows us to adjust the primary and secondary colors as we perceive these colors on our monitor. As a guide to make the adjustments you can use a printed sample from your printer or even a Pantone color book. Now let’s look at the steps to configure the Adjust Display Colors.

Preparation for configuration

Open a new FreeHand document
Create a 7 boxes that are 72 pixels square
Using the CMYK Mixer, fill each of the boxes with one of the following color specs.
100 C
100 C + 100 M
100 M
100 M + 100Y
100 Y
100 Y + 100 C
100 C + 100 M + 100 Y
Print this page to your color printer
Configuring the Adjust Display colors

Open the Preferences and select the Color Tab (Win) or Color Category (Mac)
Select Adjust Display Colors from the Color Management pop-up menu
Select the Calibrate button
Double click the color swatch for Cyan
Using one of the color selection methods, adjust the color on your screen to match the 100 C sample on the print out that was created earlier
Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each of the colors swatches.

Color Tables
This system of color management has very few options and only controls the conversion of color between RGB and CMYK color models. With this system you have two options for controlling the display of color on your monitor.

Color Manage Spot Colors allows you to specify if spot colors (Pantone Solid for example) are adjusted to the option that you have specified for Monitor Simulates. Another way you can think of this is that with the option off, the spot color is represented as an RGB color. With the option selected, the spot color will be displayed as if the color was printed in CMYK.
Monitor Simulates is the option that will allow you to simulate None or Separations printer. Once again this basically defines whether the colors are displayed as RGB (None) or as a CMYK printer would reproduce the color (Separations printer).
Kodak Digital Science/Apple ColorSync™
By far this is the most complex system of color management by allowing you to specify profiles for your monitor, printer and even a scanner. One draw back to this is that the manufacturer provided profiles needed for this method of color management are not as accurate as they need to be.

Generally a profile that is made by a monitor manufacturer is a sampling of colors for a broad selection of monitors and not specific to your monitor. We have all been to the electronics department of a store selling TVs and have seen the inconsistencies of the colors shown on the screens of the wall of TVs. This same issue happens with computer monitors and can be inaccurate for your monitor. And this is why the manufacturer provided profile might not be a good match for the state of your monitor.

There have been products on the market that allow you to sample a small selection of colors and build a profile specific to your hardware. While this can produce acceptable results for some people others will find this not as precise as could be. Generally, a good quality profile will sample thousands of color in order to be the most accurate. Then it must be recalibrated regularly to adjust for the changes in the monitor based on a number of environmental variables.

In the main screen of the Kodak Digital Science we find the following options.

Color manage spot colors – allows you to specify if spot colors (Pantone Solid for example) are adjusted to the option that you have specified for Monitor Simulates. Another way you can think of this is that with the option off, the spot color is represented as an RGB color. With the option selected, the spot color will be displayed as if the color was printed in CMYK.
Rebuild Color Tables – This option allows your override the default color tables that are built in to FreeHand. Once this option has been selected you will need to further configure this system of color management to match the Monitor and Printer that you are using.
Now let’s take a look at the configuration settings and define what these settings do.

Basic

Monitor – This pop-up menu allows the specification of the monitor being used. If your monitor is not listed, check with the manufacture of the monitor for an available profile.
Monitor Simulates – This option allows the specifying of how the monitor represents the colors ether as a Composite or Separation printer.
Separation printer - This pop-up allows the specification of the type of printer that will be used. This allows defining the type of printing press that will be ultimately used for printing.
Intent – When colors are converted from one color model to another there are times that accuracy may need to be sacrificed to allow for a more accurate display of the color. This option can be set relative to the type of objects that will be printed. Lets define each of these now.
Perceptual – This is the best choice for photographic images
Saturation – This is the best choice for colorful artwork such as graphs, charts and presentation
Absolute Colorimetrics – This is the best choice for matching logo colors
Relative Colorimetrics - This is the best choice for illustrations
Advanced

Composite Simulates Separation – This option goes one step further and allows the printed output for a composite printer to approximate the output of a separation printer. Once this option is selected, the selection of a separation printer will be needed.
Default RGB image source – This option allows definition of the default that will be applied to all images when imported into FreeHand. So if Kodak Photo CD images are regularly imported, then it can be specified. This default will be visible in the object panel when an image is selected.
Troubleshooting CMS issues:

Troubleshooting the CMS is straightforward, and now that you have a basic knowledge of how it works and what the settings are, troubleshooting will be much easier.

First, you need to have a good frame of reference when troubleshooting problems. You need to know what the colors should actually look like. Here is where a good printed color selection book will come in handy. Pantone is a good provider for these books. To see what is available, visit www.pantone.com.

An example of this type of issue: a color in FreeHand looks different than the same color in Quark XPress. Which color is accurate? Here is where that Pantone color book will come into use by allowing you to see what that color looks like in a printed example.

Second, consistency in the configuration of the CMS between applications is vital. A common question for Technical Support is why FreeHand displays an image muddy compared to Adobe Photoshop, where it looks great.

Generally by simply setting the CMS in FreeHand to “None” allows the image to display as it did in Adobe Photoshop. Note that doing so will likely result in a shift in color when printing the image from FreeHand.
DADADA

Re: Calibrating your printer with FREEHAND

Post by DADADA »

do you still work on Freehand? i'm one of Freehands fans! in general Freehand is more flexible and more practical to illustrator (in my opinion).
everybody is creative
Paramvir
Site Admin

Post by Paramvir »

yes, i still use freehand. and i agree, i do find it perhaps the best tool for layout design. I find illustrator slow, non-intuitive and the biggest drawback, I cant have multuple pages in Illustrator!

Long Live Frehand!
DADADA

Post by DADADA »

unhappily business win at the end, even if Freehand is more practical and regroups drawing features and page layout (you can have several pages with text styles panel) but it was killed by illustrator!
everybody is creative
Paramvir
Site Admin

Post by Paramvir »

yeah i remember. I started with Aldus Freehand, perhaps version 2.5 or so... tried to like Illustrator but never could. Freehand was ever so good. They should open source it. It still has a loyal following. I still use Freehand on a dauily level, even to publish my bills! How many page edit programs have a built in spreadsheet!
DADADA

Re:

Post by DADADA »

at present i've a trouble to import arabe texte on freehand from ms word. i don't know if you had meet such a problem?
everybody is creative
Paramvir
Site Admin

Post by Paramvir »

hi Dadada. I didn't get your question? You have trouble importing Arabic Text from MS Word to Freehand?
Which means you are copy/pasting from MS Word to Freehand?
Priyanka

Post by Priyanka »

can we have some info on calibrating the printer with Adobe Illustrator?
DADADA

Post by DADADA »

Paramvir wrote:hi Dadada. I didn't get your question? You have trouble importing Arabic Text from MS Word to Freehand?
Which means you are copy/pasting from MS Word to Freehand?

yes, client often send me arabic text on a ms word file and i've to place it on a freehand layout, characters become symbols! do you know if freehand recognize arabic text?
everybody is creative
Hasmukh

Post by Hasmukh »

the thread is interesting.
mostly because Adobe purchased Freehand and haS DECLARED IT DEAD. Its not going to work on Freehand is is forcing us to work on Illustrator instead.

I am sorry, I cant answer your question on Arabic Text...
mere...paise zara badhayenge...Boss??
Paramvir
Site Admin

Post by Paramvir »

hello DADADA

you need a software which supports UNICODE
MS Word, Illustrator etc support UNICODE, but FREEHAND doesn't. And since Adobe has decided to kill Freehand, you probably will never get support for UNICODE in Freehand.

What you can do is bring the text converted to path/outline from a software like Illustrator. I know its a pain, but sooner of later you will have to give up Freehand, since its no longer supported and you will have problems with Freehand on Intel Macs etc.

However, don't lose heart. There are third party applications that help you do this.

Parnian Software
Parnian is a professional Macromedia Freehand Xtra software that allows publishing in Arabic/Farsi. Ideally suited for professional publishers, Parnian transforms Freehand into a professional Arabic/Farsi desktop publishing software, with no need for an Arabic/Farsi Operating System.
Parnian is designed for use with Mac OSX and Windows xp.

Features & Benefit
Layout

* Add Right to Left (RL) TextBox to Freehand .
* Type Arabic (with kashida), Farsi (with kashida), Russia and Armenian on Freehand.
* Arabic/Farsi text find.
* Import and Export Arabic/Farsi program documents (RTF, MSWord 97/2000/xp/2003 ,HTML, Zarnegar original format, Nashreh Alef, Vajeh Negar and ...).
* Arabic/Farsi spell checker.
* Keyboard changer.
* Auto kashida.
* Add symbol manager and special characters to Freehand.
* Add Type Assist for all languages to Freehand.
* Arabic/Farsi page number (number, Abajad ,....).
* Over 150 Arabic/Farsi high quality fonts.
* Compatible with other Parnian products (Parnian XTension, Parnian Page, ....)
* Full compatibility between Macintosh version and Windows version of Parnian Xtra.

Tools

* Bullets & Numbering.
* Error Finder

Impose

* Impose Arbaic/Farsi documents.
* Impose Roman documents.
* Impose on 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 32,pages format.

You can also take a look atAL-RASSAM AL-ARABI
The unique and powerful Arabic utility for all Windows applications

(Beirut, Lebanon) Layout Ltd., developer of the award-winning ArabicXT,
is proud to release its latest version of Al-Rassam Al-Arabi.

If you are a simple graphic designer, Multimedia Creator, Animator,
Presentation Maker, art director, web designer, newspaper or magazine
designer, then Al-rassam Al-Arabi is a must for you.With Al-rassam Al-Arabi,
you can use the world ’s leading illustration and drawing applications in Arabic,
with no need for an Arabic enabled windows system.

With the latest version of Al-Rassam, you can:

Type and edit Arabic text and export it to non-Arabic applications,
such as Photoshop ™, Adobe Illustrator™, CorelDraw ™, and more.

Use new palettes and measurement units to resize windows, in order to
match text boxes in the target application

Import Arabic text from Macintosh or Windows platforms

Paste Arabic text from Windows Arabic System into Al-Rassam

Export multi-line paragraphs

Export selected text only

Type Arabic text into the famous widespread MacroMedia Flash
and revolutionize the Multimedia web animation with more and more
of animated Arabic text.

Create also With Macromedia Flash TM, Arabic titles and banners,
buttons, headlines, animations, tags, pop-ups, menu items to Demo
CD production software and blended images into the Arabic developed
Websites.

Paste Arabic text in Al-Rassam Al-Arabi from MS Word or Notepad with
ASCII conversion capabilities

Enjoy 22 high quality Arabic fonts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hope this helped
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DADADA

Post by DADADA »

Hi Pramvir,

thanks for sharing inforamtion, at this time the parniansoft website doesn't work, it's seems interesting to have this tool on Freehand!